Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Can We Use Social Media To Quite Smoking? Let's Try

Let's help each other quit smoking by cheering on
smokers who really need to quit.
I'm not a huge fan of social media, but when I decided to finally quite smoking (again), I started thinking about whether it might be possible to use social media to help me, and perhaps help others. I've quite before, for as long as three years, but this time, I need to quite forever.

Spurred on by getting way out of breath throwing a baseball around, and a round in the batting cage (two things I could do easily when I was a younger non-smoker, I decided to DO IT. NOW.

Social Help - Psychological Accountability

I've found that in the past, if I have a few people who know about my smoking cessation, I'm more likely to stick to it out of sheer embarrassment if I was to start smoking again. So, I thought, what about if I posted a message on social media, so there would be MORE people out there rooting for me, and whom I don't want to disappoint. It's kind of a psychological accountability.

And of course, I'm hoping people, smokers and non-smokers alike, will hang in here to cheer me on.

Invitation to YOU

Bookmark or follow this post. Visit once in a while, just so I know that I don't want to disappoint you. If you are a non-smoker, cheer me on. If you are a former smoker, share your successes, and what you learned (there's no such thing as failure).


I'll try to update my progress on close to a daily basis in the comments section, so as I do so, and if you "like" or follow, you'll get to know how I'm doing, and also anyone else who is joining me on the non-smoking quest.

It's An Experiment

Yes, it's an experiment. Maybe nobody will comment or even view this. That's OK, I'm doing it anyway, and I hope all of you will chime in with your experiences, rooting, tricks and tips, and so on.

Let's see if we can use social media to improve our health.

Update: Today - Day 3

I'm using nicorrette gum since I find it's the most useful for me. Day 1 and 2 are usually easy, but now it's day 3, and I feel like chewing on a 2x4. Grumpy. Still going though. More updates will follow in the comments section.


No comments:

Post a Comment